Assistant Unit Leader
Primary Position Title: Assistant Unit Leader
Appointment by: District Manager or equivalent
Reports to: Unit Leader
- Youth Members
- Unit Leaders, Assistant Unit Leaders, and Unit Helpers in own Unit
- Parents and wider community
- District and Region teams
Term of Appointment: In accordance with State policy.
Primary purpose of the position: As part of the Unit leadership team deliver high quality Australian Guide Program to youth members in a safe environment.
1. Being Part of Guiding in Australia
- Help and support other members of the Unit team.
- Share skills, knowledge and resources with other Leaders, Unit Helpers and youth members.
- Communicate effectively with other Leaders/Managers in the Unit/District/Region.
- Support new Leaders in the District.
2. Delivering the Australian Guide Program
- Facilitate your members to develop and implement an effective and well-balanced program relevant to their needs and interests.
- Support youth members to further their understanding and application of the Promise and Law.
- Encourage youth members to progress in the Australian Guide Program.
- Provide opportunities for youth members to develop and use their leadership skills.
- Facilitate self-government in the Unit, enabling decisions to be made in a democratic manner.
3. Being a Leader of your Unit
- Take responsibility and accountability for all decisions, activities and matters involving the Unit.
- Promote Guiding in local community.
- Lead the Unit as required in the absence of the Unit Leader.
4. Being Safe
- Contribute to the health and safety of all members and other adults associated with the Unit.
- Comply with obligations under the relevant national and state Work Health and Safety Acts.
- Comply with Girl Guides Australia/State Girl Guides Organisation policy and procedures.
- Undertake risk assessment and manage risk on an ongoing basis.
Requirements of appointment to the position
- Member of State Girl Guide Organisation.
- Hold a Leadership Qualification as an Assistant Unit Leader or Unit Leader.
- Satisfactory Police and Working with Children checks as required by State Legislation.
- First Aid Statement of Completion – ‘Provide Basic Emergency Life Support’ – theory only.
- Acceptance of Girl Guides Australia Code of Conduct.
Capabilities and personal attributes
- Commitment to the principles of Guiding and willingness to make or renew the Guide Promise.
- Commitment to girls/young women and their development.
- Ability to be a positive role model.
- Ability to work collaboratively with others and to bring out the best in them.
- Effective communication skills both one on one and in groups.
- Capacity and time to undertake the role.
- Commitment to the Promise and Law.
- Compliance with the Girl Guides Australia Code of Conduct.
- Commitment to ongoing self-development and learning.
- Wearing of the Guide uniform.
- ‘New to Role’ Review completed with District Manager six months following appointment.
- Role currency checks (including First Aid) as required.
- Participation in Annual Role Review as required.
Last Modified: 17/02/21 at 7:42 AM