An adventure-based activity is one which contains a significant element of risk to those taking part. Girl Guides Australia requires the person in charge to have specific knowledge and skills relevant to the activity and/or to ensure that the instructors have relevant qualifications.
Safety rules apply to all members, at all times, and are to be strictly observed. This can save lives and also protect members from litigation.
- Please click HERE for the General Rules for all Adventure-Based Activities.
- Please click HERE for the guide lines on Boating Activities.
- Please click HERE for the guide lines on Swimming Activities and Lifesavers
All Adventure-based activities require completion of:
- RISK ASSESSMENT AND PLAN (ADM 56B)
- OUT 02 ADVENTURE-BASED ACTIVITIES PERMISSION
- ACTIVITY CONSENT FORM (ADM.27) (Youth)
- ACTIVITY CONSENT FORM (ADM.28) (Leaders – if applicable)
Activities Not Approved or Covered by Insurance
Girl Guides are not allowed to participate in these activities under any circumstances.
- Bow hunting (and other similar weapons-based activities)
- Bungee jumping
- DIY flying foxes (unless constructed by a Scout or Guide Leader who has a current abseiling qualification and demonstrated skill at construction and rope maintenance)
- Self-guided caving
There may be activities (eg. Archery Tag, Laser Skirmish) which, while covered by insurance, Girl Guides Australia recommends consideration be given to choosing an alternative, more appropriate activity. Please contact your State Outdoors Activity Manager.
Adventure Activities Qualification
Girl Guides Australia recognises the Australian Qualification Framework qualification and Statements of Attainment issued by Registered Training Organisations. Permission to use instructors with these qualification for Guiding activities must be obtained from the relevant State Girl Guide Organisation.
Qualifications for conducting Adventure-based activities require a minimum qualification of Provide First Aid certificate or equivalent.
Last Modified: 22/06/17 at 3:02 PM