District Manager & Assistant District Manager
A challenging and rewarding position within Girl Guides Australia (GGA) as a role model for Leaders and girls. The District Manager (DM) is responsible for building and maintaining strong community connections between Leaders, the Region Manager, Volunteers, Members, Guides, and their families. The DM provides support, guidance, feedback, and motivation for the District to enable the delivery of the Australian Guide Program (AGP) seeing girls and young women discover their potential as leaders of their world.
District Manager Role
This role is flexible in nature and application to suit the needs of the role and the requirements of each State Girl Guide Organisation (SGGO). This role description captures all aspects of the DM role in a Child Safe Child Friendly organisation for adaptation to your individual Guiding situation.
Assistant District Manager Role
Assistant District Managers work with the DM on tasks within the Role Description as agreed between both parties.
The essence of Guiding is the delivery of the AGP working together with Leaders and parents.
The DM is responsible for:
- Facilitating District meetings and District calendar of events sharing skills, knowledge, and
- Building and maintaining relationships with Guiding members, Support Groups, families, and
- Drawing on Guiding and community networks working collaboratively with others to bring out
the best in each member of the District
- Promoting and modelling the GGA Promise, Guide Law and the GGA Code of Conduct within
Guiding and the wider community
- Assisting in recruiting, inducting, and onboarding new Leaders and through their qualification,
including supporting them with their Passport
- Providing advice and monitoring the safety and wellbeing of Guides and Members of the
community including the implementation of risk plans
- Supporting Leaders and girls to develop further in Guides and providing opportunities discover
their potential as leaders of their world
- Encouraging and acknowledging the contribution of Guides and members of the community
including nominations through the Adult good Service Awards and Membership Recognition – Adhering to GGA and SGGO policies and procedures
- Handling and reporting complaints and incidents
- Monitoring social media of the District and participating in making sure that style and language are in keeping with Girl Guide Code of Conduct, policies, and branding
- Advocating for girls and young women and inspiring others to innovate and be creative including the inclusion of WAGGGS and GGA initiatives.
Managing and maintaining records is important to the success of this role. The DM is responsible for the following as appropriate and required:
- Accessing and utilising the State database to generate reports and update records
- Keeping accurate records of meetings, correspondence, finances, and property management
- Managing venue leases/ rental/ hire agreements, including general upkeep of the meeting venue
- Scheduling and booking contractors to upkeep the meeting venue
- Reviewing district budget annually, account for finances and records
- Completing tasks, record keeping and correspondence regularly
Building for the Future
Building for the future embraces Guides to be themselves in a brave space. The District Manager leads and supports this by:
- Showing a commitment to raising the voices of girls and young women
- Challenging stereotypes and responding constructively and positively in different cultural, social, and work contexts
- Breaking down gender barriers to leadership for girls and women
- Enjoying a balanced life which allows time to focus on interests
- Responding to challenging situations, conflict, and pressure in a calm manner
Requirements for Appointment
Guiding experience is not a requirement for the District Manager role. To be appointed DM they must:
- Have strong communication and organisational skills
- Satisfy the requirements of adult membership and appointment for her SGGO
- Complete the requirements of the Management Qualification for District Managers.
The DM reports to the Region Manager and the appointment terms are determined by the relevant SGGO.
Last Modified: 06/10/21 at 12:46 PM